Immigration Legal . Org

Re-entering The U.S. After Travel

Aliens who wish to re-enter the U.S. after traveling abroad may apply for travel documents, of which the following two types are available.

  • Advance Parole

Advance Parole is a document that allows certain aliens to re-enter the U.S. after traveling abroad without obtaining a visa. Such foreign nationals must be approved for advance parole before departing from the U.S.; otherwise, the alien will not be permitted to re-enter the U.S. without obtaining a visa.

  • Re-Entry Permit

Re-Entry Permits are issued to permanent residents or conditional permanent residents wishing to remain abroad for a prolonged period of time. Re-entry permits serve two primary functions. First, the permits allow permanent U.S. residents to re-enter after being away for greater than one year but less than two years. The re-entry permit is designed to solve the problem of a permanent resident being denied re-admission on the grounds of abandoning his or her permanent resident status. Secondly, a re-entry permit may serve as a passport to a permanent resident if he/she cannot obtain it from his/her native country.

Contact Our Office

If you have any questions regarding travel documentation please contact either by email or by phone at 248-800-2544 so that our experienced attorneys can assist you with your inquiries.