Work Permits

Employers in the U.S. must ensure that all their employees are allowed to work in the U.S. Work Permits (also known as employment authorization documents, filed with form I-765) are documents issued by the USCIS giving a person legal status to work in the United States of America. They authorize an alien to work in the U.S. for a period of time, usually one year, and are renewable.

U.S. citizens, lawful permanent residents, and conditional permanent residents do not need work permits. Some of the categories that do require work permits include:

  • Refugees
  • Students seeking particular types of employment
  • Asylees
  • Fiancées of American citizens
  • People in or applying for temporary protected status

Reach Out Today

In order to determine whether or not you are in need of a work permit, contact the attorneys at and schedule a consultation either by using our online form or by calling us at 248-800-2544.