Coming back to the U.S. after being deported

On Behalf of | May 26, 2023 | Immigration

As an immigrant in Michigan, being deported may be your biggest fear. Perhaps you have worked hard to get here and created a stable and successful life, and being deported back to your home country could leave you far away from your loved ones and threaten to dismantle the life you built here.

Your first question is likely going to be if it is possible to come back to the U.S. at all. There is often no straight answer to this question.

Whether you can return to the U.S. or not depends on various factors and your specific situation.

Know the reason for your deportation

You should know the basis for your deportation. Some common reasons people are deported include being convicted of a crime in the U.S., failing to register with immigration authorities, falsifying documents or otherwise violating the terms of a green card.

The reason for your deportation is important because there are time periods you must wait before applying to return to the U.S. The time you must wait depends on the reason you were deported.

The time periods range from between 5 to 20 years. You can be permanently banned from the U.S. in certain circumstances, such as if you re-enter the U.S. illegally after deportation or you are convicted of certain felonies.

Reapplying for admission

You can apply for readmission to the U.S. through form I-212. It is important to act quickly after you are deported, because this form must be filed before your required waiting period expires.

When you file your application for readmission, you must typically provide evidence and documents involving your removal.

There is a separate form you may need to file. It is form I-601, which is a petition to waive your grounds for removal. This is different than form I-212, which grants you readmission if approved.

Everyone’s situation is different. Knowing which forms to submit and steps to take can be confusing, so it is best to have professional help.