Temporary work requires a specific visa

On Behalf of | Feb 20, 2023 | Immigration

Temporary workers from other countries perform essential services in the U.S., especially in the agricultural and tourism industries. When these workers come to the U.S. for short-term employment, they will need the correct visa.

Foreign professionals

Foreign professionals in “specialty occupations” can enter the U.S. for temporary work through an H1-B visa. Only 65,000 of these visas are offered annually, with an additional 20,000 visas made available to citizens of other countries with a U.S. master’s degree or higher.

A H1-B visa for a temporary worker will allow that worker to stay in the U.S. for three years. This timeframe may be extended an additional three years.

Employers must show that hiring an H-1B worker does not negatively impact wages and working conditions of similarly situated U.S. workers. Employers must follow federal wage requirements.

Temporary agricultural workers

Temporary agricultural workers can enter the U.S. through an H-2A visa. There is no limit on how many of these visas will be issued each year.

An H-2A worker can stay in the country for a pre-approved period of employment, which can be extended in one-year increments for up to three years.

Employers of H-2A workers must show that no qualifying U.S. workers want to take the job. Employers must follow federal recruitment, wage, benefits and other employment requirements.

Seasonal non-agricultural temporary workers

Seasonal non-agricultural temporary workers can enter the U.S. through an H-2B visa. Only 66,000 of these visas are available annually.

An H-2B visa holder can stay in the U.S. for one year, and then can be renew their visa two more times for a total of a three-year stay.

Employers of H-2B workers must show that no qualified workers in the U.S. are available for the job. Employers must follow federal wage, housing and transportation requirements.

Temporary workers in the U.S.

The U.S. relies on temporary workers to fulfill many essential jobs. With the right visa, citizens of other countries can come to the U.S. to work these jobs that keep our country running.