Types of temporary and permanent employment visas

On Behalf of | Sep 2, 2022 | Immigration, Visas

If you are from another country and are planning to work in the United States, you will need a work visa. There are several types of temporary and permanent work visas available, each with its own criteria for eligibility.

Some of the most common types of temporary work visas are as follows:

  • H-1B: For workers who have been offered a job requiring specialty knowledge who have a bachelor’s degree or higher.
  • H-2A: For seasonal or temporary workers doing agricultural work.
  • H-2B: For seasonal or temporary workers doing nonagricultural work.
  • H-3: For workers seeking nonmedical or academic training or training for those who require special education (if training is not available in their home country).
  • I: For representatives of the foreign press.
  • O: For those with extraordinary and exceptional abilities (all industries).
  • R-1: For religious workers.

Permanent work visas are awarded based on preference. The five types include:

  • EB-1/First Preference: Persons with extraordinary ability (business professionals, academics, scientists, athletes, etc.).
  • EB-2/Second Preference: Professionals with advanced degrees or equivalent or 10 years of experience in their field.
  • EB-3/Third Preference: Workers with bachelor’s degrees and skilled/unskilled laborers with permanent offers employment.
  • EB-4/Fourth Preference: Religious workers, employees of U.S. foreign posts, and other specialized workers.
  • EB-5/Fifth Preference: Persons who participate in the Immigrant Investor Program (business investors who invest the required amounts in a new commercial enterprise).

Determining which type of visa to apply for can be difficult without the guidance of an experienced employment immigration attorney in Michigan. Your attorney can assist you throughout the application process to make sure you can work in the United States legally.